iCandy Celebrates International Women's Day and The Power of Friendship
This year’s International Women’s Day campaign theme is #ChooseToChallenge which draws attention to the fact that “a challenged world is an alert world and from challenge comes change”. (IWD, 2021). iCandy’s response to the campaign theme showcases friendship as a powerful force for positive change, an idea the brand has also been championing this year through inspiring conversations with guests on the iCandy Duo Podcast. Recent guest, Coleen Mensa, discussed the importance of friendships in motherhood, something she nurtures in her online platform ‘Dear Black Mum’ - a community she has created for black mums and mums to be all over the world, to unite together through shared conversation and experiences.
In an empowering film, created by Fadila Hale, we meet Fadila, Santhy, Emma, Claudia and Stephanie. Whilst a pandemic and a 4,000-mile plane journey may separate them, they remain each other’s lifeline and each other’s biggest supporters through this challenging time.
The film shows the women navigating their own pathways, from Claudia on the school run in Accra, Ghana, to Fidela building her iCandy Cerium in preparation for her first baby, to Stephanie teaching the next generation in a classroom. Meanwhile, Emma and Santhy are seen tending to their little boys in their iCandy MiChairs in between working from home. These snippets of ordinary moments in their everyday lives are shared and celebrated with each other and even though it may be over video call or a socially distanced catch up in the park, they are in it together, connected by their friendship.
This celebration of friendship, motherhood, sisterhood and friendship is told to ‘I Love You’ – a song that perfectly captures the unbreakable roots of the bond between friends…
“I love you
I love the way you chose to love me first
I love the way you use me at my worst
I love how you can see eternity in me”
As the film concludes so beautifully, “No matter what you do or how you do it, being a woman is worth celebrating. So keep effortlessly doing you. We are in this together. You’re doing great”.
The 2021 International Women’s Day campaign runs all year long and supporters are being encouraged to raise their hand high and strike the #ChooseToChallenge pose to amplify the message and call out inequality.
Concept creation & direction by @fadilahalesound
Song written by @mamakemi & @fadilahalesound
Performed by @mamakemi & @matsmithysmith
Videography by @willchamberlin
About iCandy World Ltd
– iCandy is a British family business that celebrated its 85th anniversary in 2018.
– The team is dedicated to creating pushchairs that reflect a unique sense of style and practical, well-designed solutions.The perfect mix of high-tech sophistication and smooth living, iCandy is for people who appreciate the value of British design, craftsmanship and technical innovation.
– In 2016 iCandy was delighted to share the news that Her Majesty The Queen had been graciously pleased to approve the Prime Minister’s recommendation that iCandy should receive a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in International Trade. The Queen’s Award for Enterprise is the UK’s most prestigious award for business performance.
– Following success in 2016, iCandy was delighted to claim another Queens Award, this time for Innovation in 2018, underlining the brand’s ongoing commitment to supreme product development.
– iCandy support Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital. The relationship with GOSH is one which the brand is extremely proud of, with all fundraising endeavours going towards raising money for the charity. Please see iCandy’s Just Giving page for more information.