On Monday 16th December, team members from Biggleswade based company iCandy visited The Need Project, a charity that prepares food packages for individuals and families in Central Bedfordshire who are experiencing food deprivation at this seasonal time of year.
iCandy has dedicated the month of December to its ‘iCandy Cares’ campaign and one element of the initiative is a reverse advent calendar which the iCandy team in Biggleswade used to donate food and toiletries each day. With a team of over 50 people behind the initiative, iCandy was delighted to be able to donate hundreds of items which are desperately required by The Need Project for families in need at Christmas. The items were taken to King’s Baptist Church in Stotfold which is the food parcel packing hub for the next four days.
The Need Project is a vital local resource that fundamentally believes “everyone has the right to have food on their plate, dignity, skills, a chance to work and hope for the future”. Thanks to The Need Project there will be gifts under the tree and food in the cupboard for families across Central Bedfordshire and North Hertfordshire, including a selection box for every child. This December, The Need Project will give away food to the value of £55,000 and £4,000 worth of presents, all of which have been generously donated.
Individuals are referred to the charity by recognised social work agencies, local authorities, community bodies, churches, charities or other organisations whose purpose includes the prevention or relief of poverty.
Project Leader Gordon Hamilton who established The Need Project nearly eleven years ago said, “The Need Project is the biggest food provider in Central Bedfordshire. Although we’re extra busy at Christmas, people need food all year round. On average, each month we give away food to the value of £14,000 and £1,500 worth of second-hand furniture. Throughout December, last year we delivered 430 parcels and this year it will be 650 at least”.
iCandy Joint CEO Bradley Appel joined volunteers to help package food for distribution, “iCandy is a family business and our business is families. We understand that our responsibilities extend beyond iCandy. We take responsibility for looking after the well-being of families throughout their parenting journey and welcome opportunities where we can help make a difference for those families who might be struggling, whether that be with our charity partner Great Ormond Street Hospital or in this case with The Need Project. Spending time with the inspiring volunteers that I met, helping them prepare food parcels for families, I found it remarkable how this precious donated food is depended upon by so many individuals and families”.
The work carried out by The Need Project is impossible without funds, so the charity is actively seeking funds through grants and donations. If you would like to make a regular or one-off donation you can do so via The Need Project Virgin Money Giving page.
About iCandy World Ltd
• iCandy is a British family business that celebrated its 85th anniversary in 2018.
• The team is dedicated to creating pushchairs that reflect a unique sense of style and practical, well-designed solutions.
• The perfect mix of high-tech sophistication and smooth living, iCandy is for people who appreciate the value of British design, craftsmanship and technical innovation.
• In 2016 iCandy was delighted to share the news that Her Majesty The Queen had been graciously pleased to approve the Prime Minister’s recommendation that iCandy should receive a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in International Trade. The Queen’s Award for Enterprise is the UK’s most prestigious award for business performance.
• Following success in 2016, iCandy was delighted to claim another Queens Award, this time for Innovation in 2018, underlining the brand’s ongoing commitment to supreme product development.
• iCandy support Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital. The relationship with GOSH is one which the brand is extremely proud of, with all fundraising endeavours going towards raising money for the charity. Please see iCandy’s Just Giving page for more information. https://www.justgiving.com/company/iCandy